Categories FeaturedNews

Cigarette in Mulch Smolders, Causes Library to Evacuate

The Elizabethtown Public Library was closed for about 45 minutes because of smoke that was determined to be from a cigarette in a pile of mulch.

Library Director Deb Drury said there was a smell “like roast pig” when the library opened on Tuesday, Nov. 5, but no smoke was visible. At around 10 or 10:30 a.m., she said a library patron reported seeing smoke and the building was evacuated.

The library reopened once the Elizabethtown Fire Department and gas utility UGI determined it was safe to re-enter. Firefighters found the cigarette and determined that was the cause of the smoldering mulch, Drury said.

Other than the smell of smoke, there was no damage to the library.

“The smell will linger and they said that’s to be expected,” Drury said.

 

About the author