A Doorway to Northwest Lancaster County’s history has been restored near Bainbridge thanks to the Donegal Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. With the support of the Donegal Chapter, DAR approved a Special Project Grant to restore the Haldeman Mansion’s main visitor door entrance. The Haldeman Mansion Preservation Society was awarded $2,469 on Oct. 8, 2018, for the project, which included the installation of a stone threshold. The mansion’s six panel Cross and Bible door was renovated with its original strap hinges and forged iron door lock with elbow lever latch.
DAR was founded in 1890 to promote patriotism, preserve American history, and support better education for our nation’s children. Its members are descended from the patriots who won American independence during the Revolutionary War. With over 185,000 members in approximately 3,000 chapters worldwide, DAR is one of the world’s largest and most active service organizations.
To learn more about the work of today’s DAR, visit www.dar.org. For more information about applying for a Special Projects Grant from DAR, visit www.dar.org/grants.
HMPS President Ken Beard commented on the importance of the renovation and DAR’s valued support of HMPS’ efforts to restore and maintain the Haldeman Mansion for future generations. HMPS mission is to use the Mansion and its Locust Grove property as a community gathering place, a local history and educational center.
The Mansion was built by John Haldeman (1753-1832) and his wife Maria (17601835). John and his father Jacob Haldeman (1722-1783) supported the Colonies’ independence movement. Jacob was a member of the Committee of Observation from Rapho Township, which existed as a part of the preliminary political and military activity in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania at the beginning of the American Revolution. John Haldeman served in the 3rd and 7th Battalions in the Lancaster County Militia.
The Haldeman Mansion and its Locust Grove property are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is known for its Native American, Colonial, Early American and Scientific Heritages. Tours are provided the third Sunday of each month, May-October and by appointment. For more information, Contact Elaine Jackson, Telephone: 717-426-3794, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.