The bridge that carries Bainbridge Road over Conoy Creek near the Conoy Brethren In Christ Church has reopened to traffic after being closed since March for a bridge replacement.
Another bridge on Bainbridge Road in West Donegal Township is still out. Replacement of the bridge just east of Rutts Road also began in the spring, but that is not expected to be complete until mid- to late September.
The bridge near the Conoy BIC Church opened to traffic the afternoon of Saturday, Aug. 26. It replaced a single-span metal grate bridge that was popularly known as the “singing bridge” because vehicles passing over the metal grate made a sound that reminded some drivers of a choir singing. It was originally built in 1930 and was classified as structurally deficient due to age and deterioration.
The other bridge on Bainbridge Road, which is a part of state Route 241, replaces a two-span bridge that was originally built in 1928 and also classified as structurally deficient due to age and deterioration.
The Bainbridge Road portion of Route 241 carries an average daily traffic of nearly 5,800 vehicles. The entirety of Route 241 is a just over 38 miles long; it goes from Route 441 (River Road) in Conoy Township through West Donegal Township, Elizabethtown Borough and Mount Joy Township before going into Lebanon County, going through Mount Gretna before ending at Quentin Road in Lebanon City.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation contracted with Highway Materials Inc. of Blue Bell, Montgomery County, (near Philadelphia) to replace both bridges on Route 241 in West Donegal Township at a cost of $2,903,947.
In another road construction project in the region, the bridge that carries Newberry Road over Route 283 in Londonderry Township, Dauphin County, reopened to traffic before dawn on Friday, Aug. 25. The bridge had been closed since June 12 for repair work that included substructure and concrete beam end patching.